About this site
Literacy Online is a site for primary and secondary literacy teachers in New Zealand and internationally. English Online and ESOL Online are sister sites.
Meet the project team >>
For further information on this site:
The principles that underpin the sites
- All learners can achieve.
- Content and pedagogical knowledge is essential for effective instruction.
- Knowledge of students’ progressions is critical to meeting students’ diverse needs.
- Students need responsive and personalised instruction.
- Teaching decisions should be based on evidence of students’ strengths and needs.
- Teaching and learning sequence tasks need to have a clearly defined pedagogical rationale.
- Teachers’ ongoing inquiry into the impact of their teaching decisions is essential for providing effective differentiated instruction.
- Ongoing inquiry into underachievement is a key to schooling improvement.
- Practice is informed by contemporary research and thinking.
Published on: 05 Mar 2009